Thursday, May 23, 2013

XTERRA Southeast Championships tri and trail run

We were on the road for 52 hours before arriving to Pelham, Alabama where the XTERRA Southeast Championships took place last week. Sure that 52 included two stops during which we visited a friends and another stay in a hotel along the road. I had not much time left to ride and get to know the course before the rain caught up to us. Saturday everything started OK. Sure it was rainy but I wasn't too worried as the whole bike course was under thick foliage of tall trees. My swim was exceptionally fast in the new De Soto Concept 5 wetsuits that I had not worn prior to this event. I was also passing a lot of age groupers and pros already on the bike course when I heard a pop from my rear tire and the air leaking out. It all happened at mile 8 of the 19 mile course so I immediately knew that was the end of my race as I had no tube to put in my tubeless set up and no co2 or even a tool with me. I was just behind the guy who eventually took 3rd overall amateur and I know I had the running legs this time as the bike course was rather twisty than grueling. Oh well, I figured. At least I will be fresh for the trail run on Sunday. Sure it wasn't that easy to digest at first but a few miles walk made me think the bright side of all the bad things.

No comments:

Post a Comment