Sunday, August 5, 2012

XTERRA Pipestem Creek

Let me start acknowledging how Steven Aesoph and his crew put another great event together! Thanks Steve for all the hard work that resulted in a phenomenal race!

Coming into the race I had not been training as much as I had last year this time. After my knee surgery I had taken off a long time off. The only thing I am more confident about this year is my swim that I was able to maintain or perhaps even get better. I had maybe ridden my bike on trails two times before Jamestown. Running? Perhaps two times a week and hardly over 20km in total..
So with these numbers in mind it's not a surprise how a fared against my competitors..

The swim was actually pretty good. I came out of the water just seconds behind later race winner and professional XTERRA races Will Kelsay. On the bike, however, I was falling behind not only to Will but also to other age group athletes, too. It's even more unfortunate that I had no chance riding the course as we arrived the morning of the race. I remembered most of the turns from last year but definitely not all of them. On top of that I had a 4,5 minute stop due to technical issues. Climbing up on a steep slope my chain got stuck in my rear derailleur.. I stopped and looked at it but couldn't figure out what was happening. After that long delay and clicking everything I could I was able to put the chain back on the rings and off I went.. I have to add that something was still wrong as the chain kept skipping no matter what cogs it was running on.. I was sort of unable to maintain a good pace because of this. COming off the bike I felt from 2nd place overall to 7th. It was time to use my running skills  and make up some ground on my fellow competitors. I was able to pass two of them and I saw Max Boeckel in sight but by the then the finish was only half a mile away and I couldn't catch him. I finished in 5th place but still in for the money that at least covered my expenses related to this race. I had the second fastest run to Will who had to run for his money as uber-biker Luke Nelson from Minnesota caught him on the bike.

Now onto some more training and racing as the summer has just started..

Update: After taking in my bike to Epic Sports for a tune up it turned out that the chain was a good 2 links longer AND it was not running where it had to over the rear derailleur's cogs. HA! I better get some bike repair knowledge in before I try to fix my own bike..

Results to the race: XTERRA Pipestem Creek 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment