Thursday, August 23, 2012

Subway GetFit Road Race 10k

A week before the Gear Grinder I ran a 10k that I planned to run last year but my knee was hurting by then really bad. This time, after the knee surgery I want to believe that it's OK to run fast and on concrete again.
The race took place by the Scheels complex by Pebble Creek Golf Course. It was a two loop course with some hills and on windy roads.
Bismarck Parks and Recreation had some issues with their new timing system and it gave us, runners, some extra time to get know each other.. I don't mean that I introduced myself to everyone in the crowd but I met a few runners I haven't seen awhile and even new faces. One of them, Kyle Downs, even looked like a runner.. I knew I would have to run hard this time and my suspicion was right on. After the start it was Kevin Stankiewicz who joined us for the first mile but then just Kyle and myself. I felt how he was a bit stronger on the hills. The lack of miles this season is starting to catch up on me. We kept a decent pace and I tried not to fall too far behind going up. He then started asking questions that I knew were either to cover up any signs of weaknesses or that he in fact was feeling really good. It ddin't take long to figure out. On one of the longest "climbs" he went ahead and never looked back. I managed to keep the distance fairly short between us but eventually he pulled away and beat me by a good 30 seconds.
The course was longer than 10k so my actual 10k time must have been just under 35 minutes and that's not too bad on a course like this.
I hope that with more 10k specific workouts I can push this time under 34 minutes by the Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving and take home the turkey again!
Until then I've got some XTERRA's and THE XTERRA in Maui!

Results:
http://bisparks.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012-Subway-Get-Fit-Race-Results.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment