Saturday, September 1, 2012

Driving and first 2 days in Canada..

Getting in Canada wasn't a big deal.. Although I do recall the question from the officer asking if I had firearms, fireworks, maze with me and the latter was hiding in my backpack.. It's OK I suppose for now but I might have some issues with it on the way back..
Canada IS cold. While I heard even in North Dakota it was 90+ degrees today I was just simply glad to have the sun come out for a bit and warm up the to a sizzling 70 degrees.
I spent the first night between Brooks and Basson at a rest area. I made myself a little room next to my bike and sqeezed myself in there.. I got a good 7 hour sleep though I woke numerous times and turned as much as my bike allowed me to turn.. Don't bother I told myself and before the sun came I was already driving towards Canmore..
For some reason I took the bypass road all around Calgary and it might have made my trip a bit longer. Ohh well I made it to Canmore before noon.. But not early enough though.. As soon as I found Quarry Lake and the Olympic Center it started pouring.. Instead of biking then I prioritized and looked for a campground.. Luckily enough I found one.. The smallest, loudest, smokiest corner in all Canmore where the city happened to build their campground.. At least there's shower. $2 for a five minute "session".
Xterra Canada gives out the best goodies I have got so far at any Xterras I have done.. At least quality- wise. I could never afford (justify) to buy an Icebreaker branded technical Tshirt that they give for the race.. Cool stuff!
I ended up pre riding the course later in the afternoon, once only. Its more technical I was hoping for but manageable.. I am getting myself ready that I might have to get off the bike at least once in each lap. I rather not risk a tumble over rocks and exposed roots.. That few seconds I lose at those sections might benefit me later.. The run course is that I just wish I was already running on.. Its not too fast but it has some fun twists and turns much like the bike course. And while the bike course is only 22k (14 miles or so) the run is a good 10k and I hope to catch a few good bikers who are fading by then..
Well thats about it its almost 9pm here and I must wake up by 6:00 to set up T1 (transition 1) and T2 before the race..
Lets hope the campground won't be as smokey as I think it might be..
My suite on the way to Canada.. This was far from luxurious.. Saved me a lot of $$ though..

No comments:

Post a Comment